- This event has passed.
Data Literacy: Busting Myths of Big Data
February 6, 2018 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
In this workshop we will focus on learning about the what, when, how and whys of data. Data is pervasive these days and like it or not we have to use data to make decisions or others will make them for us. In this workshop we will start from the basics and talk about types of data and we can say and cannot say about the different types of data. Some of the topics we will cover are given below. We will keep it flexible and cover topics that attendees are interested in from the list below. This is not meant to replace any of your Stats classes, more of a philosophical overview of making data based decisions.
- Types of Data. Why we collect data?
- Population versus Sample
- Experiments, observational studies
- Exploratory studies versus confirmatory studies
- The Idea of inference
- Distinction: Uni-variate, Bi-variate, Multi-variate, multiple
- Graphical Summary of data
- Numerical summary of data
- From center to one sample tests
- Going from population to sample
- Testing and Confidence Intervals
- Errors in testing
- Type I and Type II: which one is worse
- Margin of error and power
- Sample size from power and vice versa
- Type of design and power
- Understanding effect size
- Statistical significance
- P-value – good, bad or misused